Nadal made to sweat for Hamburg Open win

first_imgHAMBURG, Germany (AP):Top-seeded Rafael Nadal toiled to beat Jiri Vesely 6-4, 7-6 (2) to reach the Hamburg Open quarter-finals yesterday.Nadal’s quarter-final opponent will be fifth-seeded Pablo Cuevas of Uruguay, who outlasted Jerzy Janowicz of Poland 6-3, 4-6, 6-2.Nadal appeared in trouble when he dropped his serve for 4-4 in the second set, but he broke right back and served for the match, only to commit a double fault at match point. He served another double fault to drop the game, but Vesely could not take advantage and Nadal cruised through the tiebreaker, winning the match when Vesely netted a backhand.Nadal is playing in Hamburg for the first time since he won the clay-court event in 2008. This is his first tournament since losing to Dustin Brown in the second round of Wimbledon. Once No. 1 in the world, Nadal has dropped to No. 10.Andreas Seppi of Italy also reached the quarter-finals by beating Florian Mayer of Germany 4-6, 6-2, 6-3. He will play countryman Simone Bolelli, who defeated Spanish qualifier Jaume Munar 6-1, 6-7 (5), 6-4.last_img read more

Read More →

GDF to make ranks available

first_imgLindo Creek CoIFollowing the publishing of a public notice and subsequent dispatching of a correspondence, the Guyana Defence Force has indicated that it would make the ranks requested available for a preliminary interview at noon on Wednesday.“The Guyana Defence Force has received correspondence from the Lindo Creek Commission of Inquiry, requesting that a number of ranks be made available to appear before the Commission. The Force has since responded, indicating the availability of the requested ranks, as some are no longer in its employ. Further, an agreement has been reached for those available ranks to report to the Commission of Inquiry for a preliminary interview on Wednesday 18-04-18 at 11:30 hours,” the GDF said in a statement.Last week, the CoI, through its public relations officer, published a public notice in all of the daily newspapers, urging former GDF Lieutenant Ayodele Woolford; former Superintendent Dwand Cambridge; Colonel Lloyd Souvineer; Captain Sheldon Howell; Major Fitzroy Ward; Private Taylor; Private Quailo and Philbert Bobb to make urgent contact with the Commission.Sometime between June 12, 2008 and June 24, 2008, miners Cecil Arokium, Dax Arokium, Compton Speirs, Horace Drakes, Clifton Wong, Lancelot Lee, Bonny Harry and Nigel Torres were shot and killed, and their bodies burnt at the Upper Berbice River mining camp which was being operated by Leonard Arokium.The Lindo Creek CoI is the first of what the coalition Government has said would be a series of inquiries into the hundreds of killings, which occurred during a crime wave that began in 2002.The CoI was established to inquire into the circumstances surrounding the killings of eight miners, and to report its findings and recommendations to President David Granger.last_img read more

Read More →