Ten international NGOs press Arroyo over Esperat murder case

first_img Organisation May 19, 2006 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Ten international NGOs press Arroyo over Esperat murder case Mass international solidarity campaign launched in support of Maria Ressa Filipina journalist still held although court dismissed case eleven days ago News PhilippinesAsia – Pacific to go further News May 3, 2021 Find out more Receive email alerts This statement is signed by the following organisations :Canadian Journalists for Free ExpressionCenter for Media Freedom & ResponsibilityCommittee to Protect JournalistsInternational PENInternational Press InstituteFreedom Fund for Filipino JournalistsReporters Without BordersSoutheast Asian Press AllianceThe Rory Peck TrustWorld Press Freedom Committee PhilippinesAsia – Pacific February 16, 2021 Find out more Philippines: RSF and the #HoldTheLine Coalition welcome reprieve for Maria Ressa, demand all other charges and cases be dropped June 1, 2021 Find out more Follow the news on Philippines RSF_en On the eve of the trial of four men accused of carrying out the March 2005 murder of journalist and anti-corruption activist Marlene Esperat, ten international non-governmental organisations today called on President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo to ensure that justice is carried out for those who ordered the killing, as well as for those who carried it out.The NGOs pledged to support the demands of Esperat’s family, lawyer and colleagues for justice to be done in this case.“We support the calls by Philippine press freedom groups for the investigation’s conclusions to be reviewed,” they said. “This case shocked both Philippine journalists and the international community, and judicial system must not allow the instigators to go unpunished. Its credibility is at stake.””We are concerned by reports that the Cebu regional court says it foresees a rapid trial for the accused perpetrators, who have reportedly confessed. While trials should be quick they should not be hasty, and we are concerned that others, suspected of commissioning this murder, have not been named in the indictments for the trial, scheduled to resume on May 22,” the NGOs said.The NGOs also urged President Arroyo to ensure that the witnesses are protected before, during and after the trial. The groups have supported – morally and materially – the efforts of Esperat’s family and colleagues to obtain justice. And they intend to follow the trial with the help of the Freedom Fund for Filipino Journalists.Gerry Cabayag is accused of being the gunman who entered Esperat’s home in Tacurong on the evening of 24 March 2005 while she was dining with her two sons and shot her once, above the right eye, killing her instantly. Esperat had been under police protection since a grenade attack on her home in 2003, but that evening she had told her bodyguard he could stay at home to spend Easter with his family.A suspect, Randy Grecia, surrendered to the police on 8 April 2005. Three days later, the police arrested three other suspects, including Cabayag. All four are said to have confessed to being paid 120,000 pesos (about 1,900 euros) to kill Esperat.Last November, the Supreme Court granted a request from the Esperat family and the Freedom Fund for Filipino Journalists to move the trial for security reasons from Tacurong, Esperat’s home town, to a court in the city of Cebu. In Tacurong, the case had been subject to pressure from Osmena Montaner, a Mindanao agriculture department official who is suspected of being one of the instigators. In August, the court in Tacurong had refused to let charges be brought against Montaner and another agriculture department official, Estrella Sabay, on the grounds of insufficient evidence.Esperat had exposed many cases of corruption and embezzlement. Shortly before her murder, she had presented the results of her investigation into a questionable fertilizer purchase by the agriculture department to the ombudsman, who in the Philippines has the power to prosecute corruption cases. Esperat knew she was in great danger and wrote in a letter to President Arroyo on 14 February 2005: “I am ready to die for this cause but you can never stop the will of the Lord.” News News Help by sharing this information last_img read more

Read More →

Investigation launched following the discovery of 33 dead swans

first_img By News Highland – May 9, 2013 Twitter Pinterest RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR News 75 positive cases of Covid confirmed in North Previous articleDonegal man goes on trial accused of sexual abuse dating back 50 yearsNext articlePresident of the Massachusetts Senate to visit Donegal today News Highland Gardai continue to investigate Kilmacrennan fire Google+ Main Evening News, Sport and Obituaries Tuesday May 25th Man arrested on suspicion of drugs and criminal property offences in Derry Google+center_img Facebook 365 additional cases of Covid-19 in Republic Further drop in people receiving PUP in Donegal An investigation is underway following the discovery of a number of dead birds in the Mullaghduff and Dunfanaghy areas.33 swans were found dead in the New Lake, Dunfanaghy at the weekend while National Parks and Wildlife Rangers recovered a dead swan from a lake in mullaghduff this (Thursday) evening.An investigation into the deaths has been launched with poisoning and bird flu being considered as possible causes.Water samples have been taken from the area for examination as part of the investigation.If any members of the public discovers dead birds, they are being asked to contact the National Parks and Wildlife service in the first instance. Facebook Pinterest Twitter WhatsApp Investigation launched following the discovery of 33 dead swans WhatsApplast_img read more

Read More →