Laid off for implicating Emirates Airlines

first_img October 29, 2009 – Updated on July 21, 2016 Laid off for implicating Emirates Airlines United Arab EmiratesMiddle East – North Africa News Organisation to go further News RSF joins Middle East and North Africa coalition to combat digital surveillance RSF_en Follow the news on United Arab Emirates Help by sharing this information United Arab EmiratesMiddle East – North Africa center_img The exclusive account of Courtney C. Radsch, a US journalist who recently lost her job at the Al Arabiya news website (www.alarabiya.net) in the United Arab Emirates for posting information about safety violations by the national air carrier, Emirates Airlines. “ On Sunday Oct. 4 one of my reporters asked me if we could write about a report on safety concerns at Emirates Airlines following a report about pilot fatigue. Since the report was from a respected Australian paper based on a Freedom of Information Request (FOIA) for a report from the FAA (Federal Aviation Authority) and I assessed that the story was newsworthy and in the public interest. We sought and received a response from the airline which we featured in the lede and devoted an entire section of the story to. The story was on the site for about 4 hours before I received a call from Dawood al-Shirian, the manager of AlArabiya.net, telling me to remove the story from the site.He provided no explanation and I refused to remove the story without a discussion about its merits explaining that to do so would compromise my journalistic principles. I have built a reputation as a journalist based on my professionalism, credibility and refusal to compromise on journalistic standards. I spoke with Nakhle al-Hajj, who had also expressed concern over the story, but was willing to discuss its merits. He asked me if I had spoken to a pilot or anyone else who could corroborate some of the issues in the report and I agreed to do so and add this to the story. I asked whether if I were to do that it would alleviate the need to remove the story. I interviewed an EA employee on the record anonymously who confirmed that fatigue among pilots and crew was a problem and that the airline was not adhering to the required rest time between legs and I added this to the story. I hoped that this would assuage Dawood’s concerns and attempted to call him 15 times, sent 2 text messages and an email but never received a response. He refused to take my calls and told the Arabic editor, when he called on my behalf, that he was in a meeting. I spoke to my Arabic colleagues and they explained that they had been told a few months ago not to publish anything about the airline. This had never been conveyed to me or my English team and I told them this. As it turns out the head of Emirates Airlines is also the head of the aviation authority and an al-Maktoum, a member of the ruling family. About 6 hours after posting the story I agreed to take it down out of concern for my and my fellow journalist’s personal safety (it was a dual byline story). We did not want to land in jail or be fined, which according to the new media law, was a real possibility. I decided that if Al Arabiya was unwilling to standup for what’s right and publish an important article that I was not willing to go to jail for Al Arabiya. But an hour later we saw that Gulf News, considered a state mouthpiece that provides guidance on which stories are acceptable to publish, and Arabian Business had both published articles about the report and the airline’s denial. I called Dawood, got no answer, and texted him to let him know that other Emirati papers had published the story. I got no response. I wanted to put the story back up, but I did not have access to the CMS at home and did not want to ask my fellow reporter to put her neck on the line. The next day when I got into the office I emailed him to express my disappointment that a critical story with major pubic safety implications had not been published. The media plays an important role in putting the spotlight on companies that are not abiding by regulations or are cutting corners that put the public at risk. About an hour later I was requested to attend a meeting with Dawood and the head of Human Resource where I was informed that I had been “made redundant” effective immediately. They said the English website was being “restructured.” Less than 24 hours after publishing the story I had lost my job and have 30 days from the cancellation of my work visa to leave the country. Residency visas in the UAE are tied to one’s job. Upon termination the employee provides the visa for cancellation to the company and is given 30 days to leave the country. If you have paid rent in advance – most landlords require rent be paid in one to four checks meaning that one has paid for at least 3 months at a time – then you will loose your money, since there is no protection for such cases and there would be no time to go to court“.She left the UAE today. RSF joins other NGOs in amicus brief in WhatsApp suit against NSO Group Receive email alerts News NSO Group hasn’t kept its promises on human rights, RSF and other NGOs say News June 8, 2021 Find out more April 28, 2021 Find out more December 23, 2020 Find out morelast_img read more

Read More →

Press release: Homes England reveals ambitious pipeline of development opportunities

first_imgThe government’s national housing agency today publishes its latest Land Development and Disposal Plan, which details the nationwide portfolio of sites it plans to market for development.For the first time an interactive map is available alongside the Development and Disposal plan allowing users to identify sites geographically and to view site-level details, including red-line plans, online.To support its ambitious disposal plans, Homes England will provide improved technical packs and site information as well as a standard Building Lease to ensure a consistent approach across the country. These will incorporate clear approaches to the pace of build-out, Modern Methods of Construction, design and quality of place and tenure mix.Stephen Kinsella, Executive Director – Land at Homes England, said:“As part of Homes England’s expanded remit, we will be much more active in the land market, using our increased resources to ramp up the acquisition of land opportunities and developing new ways to partner other government departments to bring forward more sites more quickly. We are ambitious about our disposals for the year ahead so we’re really keen to talk to developers about the opportunities in our latest plan.”The publication of the Land Development and Disposal Plan follows the news that Homes England is launching a new framework that will help speed up the delivery of new homes, which will be in place in the autumn. The procurement of a new Multidisciplinary and Technical Services Frameworks will broaden the technical and design services available to support Homes England and other public bodies to accelerate the supply of new homes, with the frameworks providing direct access to the professional, technical and design services needed to prepare land for housing development.Sites listed in the Land Development and Disposal Plan will be disposed of on a competitive basis through Homes England’s Delivery Partner Panel (DPP3), through a private treaty sale, bespoke OJEU process or auction.EndsFor further media information, contact Patsy Cusworth – [email protected] Tel: 079677 2328Notes to EditorsHomes England is the new housing delivery organisation that has been created to adopt a more commercial approach to respond to the long term housing challenges facing this country. The new, expanded agency will play a far bigger role in investing in supply and intervening in the market to help deliver 300,000 homes a year by the middle of the next decade.Homes England will act differently from its predecessor, bringing together money, land, expertise and planning and compulsory purchase powers to accelerate the supply of new homes and address affordability issues in areas of highest demand.For more information visit: https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/homes-england.last_img read more

Read More →

Grace Bay Beach review by Tourism Government sector

first_imgFacebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppPhoto by TCHTAProvidenciales, 30 Sept 2015 – One of the worlds leading beaches is under surveillance by Tourism and Government executives as they explore ways to keep Grace Bay Beach a number one spot. Among questions being asked in effort to uphold the reputation include: “what works on and for Grace Bay and what doesn’t?” Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Related Items:race bay beach, survey Survey to help public consultation on TCI Status Billcenter_img Recommended for you Tourism Environmental Awareness Month Launchedlast_img read more

Read More →

Man Dies after Lifeguards rescue him in Ocean Beach

first_img KUSI Newsroom, Updated: 10:01 AM January 9, 2019 Posted: January 9, 2019 00:00 00:00 spaceplay / pause qunload | stop ffullscreenshift + ←→slower / faster ↑↓volume mmute ←→seek  . seek to previous 12… 6 seek to 10%, 20% … 60% XColor SettingsAaAaAaAaTextBackgroundOpacity SettingsTextOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundSemi-TransparentOpaqueTransparentFont SettingsSize||TypeSerif MonospaceSerifSans Serif MonospaceSans SerifCasualCursiveSmallCapsResetSave SettingsSAN DIEGO (KUSI) – Lifeguards rescued a beach-goer Wednesday who was swept into the ocean at the mouth of the San Diego River after chasing his dog into rough surf.The man, identified as Gregg Owens, was admitted to the hospital’s intensive care unit, where he was later pronounced dead, the Medical Examiner’s Office said Thursday.The man, a visitor from Nevada believed to be in his mid-50s to early 60s, entered the water in northern Ocean Beach to retrieve his pet shortly before 2 p.m., according to the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department.A short time later, bystanders noticed that the tourist was face-down in the surf and being dragged out to sea by strong currents, SDFRD spokesman Jose Ysea said.Lifeguards arrived within several minutes, by which point the man was roughly 75 yards from shore. The personnel used a personal watercraft to rescue the victim, finding him unconscious and not breathing.The lifeguards performed CPR on the man on the beach prior to the arrival of an ambulance crew, which took him to UCSD Medical Center in unknown condition.The victim’s dog made it back to shore unharmed, Ysea said.A roughly 36-hour period of dangerously high surf began this morning, prompting authorities to issue beach-area safety warnings and temporarily close Ocean Beach Pier as a precaution. center_img KUSI Newsroom Man Dies after Lifeguards rescue him in Ocean Beach Categories: Local San Diego News FacebookTwitterlast_img read more

Read More →