GDF to make ranks available

first_imgLindo Creek CoIFollowing the publishing of a public notice and subsequent dispatching of a correspondence, the Guyana Defence Force has indicated that it would make the ranks requested available for a preliminary interview at noon on Wednesday.“The Guyana Defence Force has received correspondence from the Lindo Creek Commission of Inquiry, requesting that a number of ranks be made available to appear before the Commission. The Force has since responded, indicating the availability of the requested ranks, as some are no longer in its employ. Further, an agreement has been reached for those available ranks to report to the Commission of Inquiry for a preliminary interview on Wednesday 18-04-18 at 11:30 hours,” the GDF said in a statement.Last week, the CoI, through its public relations officer, published a public notice in all of the daily newspapers, urging former GDF Lieutenant Ayodele Woolford; former Superintendent Dwand Cambridge; Colonel Lloyd Souvineer; Captain Sheldon Howell; Major Fitzroy Ward; Private Taylor; Private Quailo and Philbert Bobb to make urgent contact with the Commission.Sometime between June 12, 2008 and June 24, 2008, miners Cecil Arokium, Dax Arokium, Compton Speirs, Horace Drakes, Clifton Wong, Lancelot Lee, Bonny Harry and Nigel Torres were shot and killed, and their bodies burnt at the Upper Berbice River mining camp which was being operated by Leonard Arokium.The Lindo Creek CoI is the first of what the coalition Government has said would be a series of inquiries into the hundreds of killings, which occurred during a crime wave that began in 2002.The CoI was established to inquire into the circumstances surrounding the killings of eight miners, and to report its findings and recommendations to President David Granger.last_img